Friday 22 October 2010

Axe blade shaping

The armature is still drying out, I must of applied the plaster bandage too wet. So I have opted to continue with the weapons.

The blanks for the axe blade was cut at the beginning of the week whilst I was waiting for the expanding foam to cure. Today I shaped the blades and added some detailing. The axe has done quite a lot of work over the years by the look of the image with a few stress fractures beginning to apprear. I also had to taper the blade thicker where it joins to the shaft and thinner towards the blade end as a traditional axe. I then also had to chamfer it more for the actual cutting part of the blade. I did the main taper with the band saw, I then shaped the blade chamfer with a surform and a block with glass paper.



No comments:

Post a Comment