Tuesday 19 October 2010

Aluminium Foil Bulking Out

I opted to apply chavant clay directly to the armature, however both in terms of resources and weight this was taking up vast quantities of clay. Through my research and through prior knowledge I know of massing out armatures with aluminium foil and binding wire so I opted to use this technique on my sculpt. I was finding that the foil was sliding around the armature, I couldnt get it compact enough and I was also having problems massing out in a way that would remain true to the anatomy. All these factors combined had the potential to cause me problems further on in the process when I was applying clay which was too big a risk to take. I have decided to use expanding foam to mass out and apply the clay directly to that. This will keep the sculpt relatively light weight whilst also ensuring the mass is well packed. I can also carve and shape the foam should there be any mass that I am unhappy with.




No comments:

Post a Comment