Monday 8 November 2010

Working into the face

I was unhappy with the overall form of the face at the end of last week, I felt that what I had sculpted lacked form and shape, for example around the cheek and creases where the cheek bunches up when someone is smirking. I spoke to one of our visiting lecturers this morning about my progress and for him to critique my work.

His criticism was that I needed to form the jaw and make it more pronounced than it was at the moment. It was at this point that I decided to take the Hobgoblin by the scruff of the neck and develop the facial anatomy more to give the face more form. I felt that whilst I had a good likeness it lacked punch in terms of detailing. I built up the cheeks and the folds of skin around the corners of the mouth where he is smirking.











He also highlighted what I have been aware of whilst sculpting the Hobgoblin- due to him standing on his tip toes whilst he is sneaking and the weight of the pose being forward as well as the the size and weight of the head it will be difficult to balance the statue without putting stress on the weak points of the legs- the ankles and knees. When I cast the Hobgoblin I intend to cast in a steel structure which will provide reinforcing for the ankles and knees. I also intend to weld a bolt onto each leg steel which I can then tighten a nut onto so that the Hobgoblin is bolted down securely. This should relieve the stress on the resin so that cracking is avoided.

No comments:

Post a Comment